Endocrinology and Nutrition
1987: Medical School: Facultad de Medicina de Sevilla
1992: MSc.in Clinical Nutrition: Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. Madrid, Spain
1995: PhD: Universidad de Alcalá de Henares, Madrid
1996 – 2000: Post-doctoral Fellowship: Diabetes Research Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Monogenic Diabetes and Monogenic Hypoglycemia.
Genetics of Diabetes and Endocrine Diseases.
Genetic engineering of human pancreatic beta-cell.
Cell Therapy as a treatment for Diabetes and Hyperinsulinism.
Physician at HC Marbella.
Professor. Danish Diabetes Academy. Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences. Department of Biomedical Sciences. Panum Institute. University of Copenhagen. Copenhagen, Denmark.
Scientific Director of the International Institute of Genetics of Diabetes. Santa Elena Clinic. Torremolinos, Málaga, Spain.
Chief of Endocrinology Department of Santa Elena Clinic. Torremolinos, Málaga, Spain.
Professor. Master of Science in Biotechnology and Health. Pablo de Olavides University, Seville, Spain.
President of the Spanish Study Group of Genetics of Diabetes. (2010 – Present) (2002 – 2006).
2007 – 2013: Director of the Center for the Study of Pancreatic Beta-cell Diseases. Institute of Biomedical Research of Málaga (IBIMA). UGC Medicina Interna. Hospital Carlos Haya, Málaga, Spain.
2003 – 2007: Director of the Islet Transplantation program. Hospital Carlos Haya, Málaga. Spain
2001 – 2013: Research Professor at the Institute of Biomedical Research of Málaga (IBIMA). Málaga, Spain.
1995 – 2001: Postdoctoral Fellow. Diabetes Research Center. University of Pennsylvania. PA, USA.
1990 – 1995: PhD Program. Ramón y Cajal Hospital. Madrid, Spain.
1998 – 1995: Physician at the Unit of Clinical Nutrition. Ramón y Cajal Hospital. Madrid, Spain.
Selected most Relevant Publications
New England Journal of Medicine. 2010; 362(14): 1348-1350.
Diabetes Care. 2010, 33(2): 290-293.
Molecular Endocrinology, 2009; 23(12):1983–1989
Diabetes. 2004; 53(8):2164-8.
New England Journal of Medicine, 2001; 344 (21): 1588-1592.
Diabetologia, 2001; 44: 898-905.
Diabetologia; 1999. 42:1175-1186.
Diabetes. 1999. 48:1698-1705.
New England Journal of Medicine. 1998. 22; 338(4): 226-30.
– Keynote Lecture. Activating Mutations in glucokinase gene and glucose homeostasis. XVIII Scientific Meeting of the Spanish Diabetes Society. 2006. Madrid, Spain.
– Keynote Lecture. Glucokinase and Highly Efficient Islets; The paradox of how hypoglycaemia can help hyperglycemia. 2 Ulusal Hücresel Tedavi ve Rejenerative Tip Kongresi. Izmir, Turkey 2011.
– Keynote Lecture. Glucokinase Hypoglycemia. “Fundamentos Moleculares de la Medicina” Spanish Royal National Academy of Medicine. 2009 Madrid, Spain.
– Alberto Sols Award 2007.
– Award Andalusia Diabetes Association 2003.
– Honorary President of the EASD-European Study Group of Genetics of Diabetes (EASD-SGGD).
– Founder of the EASD-European Study Group of Genetics of Diabetes (EASD-SGGD).
– President of the Spanish Study Group of Monogenic Diabetes. Spanish Diabetes Society.
– Founder of the Spanish Study Group of Monogenic Diabetes. Spanish Diabetes Society.
– Member of the Danish Diabetes Academy
– Spanish Genetic Society
– Spanish Diabetes Society
– Spanish Endocrinology Society.
– Member of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.
– Member of the European Society of Human Genetics.
– Member of the American Diabetes Association.
– Member of the Spanish Society of Authors