Revision Surgery for the foot and ankle.
Minimal invasive intervention for elective and trauma foot and ankle cases.
Complex foot and ankle trauma.
Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology
1995: M.D. Bachelor of Doctor in Medicine.
2003: MS (Ortho) Master Degree in Trauma and Orthopaedics.
2004: MRCS (Glasgow). MRCS (Edinburgh).
2010: FRCS (Tr & Orth).
2012: CCT , Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board.
Awards & Honours
– Senior Academic Teacher in Dundee Medical School.
– International expert reviewer for grants in Centre for Scientific Review, National Institutes of Health, USA for Medical Education Technologies Grants.
– London NHS Innovation Awards.
Ninewells Hospital and Medical School / Perth Royal Infirmary (major teaching hospital and a major trauma centre).
Consultant orthopaedic and trauma surgeon with special interest in foot and ankle surgery, experience includes elective foot and ankle surgery and general trauma including THR and tertiary referral service for complex cases as well as research.
St Mary‚Äôs Hospital (one of the four major trauma centres in London).
The only foot and ankle surgery covering complex trauma cases.
Fellowship‚Äôs level training
Leeds Teaching Hospital.
Senior foot and ankle fellow.
Fellowship level training in Trauma
Leeds General Infirmary.
Senior trainee and rota coordinator with Prof Giannoudis.
High Surgical Training and Registrar‚Äôs level training
– 12 Months foot and ankle surgery.
– 6 Months hand surgery.
– 12 Months shoulder surgery.
– 12 Months paediatric orthopaedic surgery.
– 18 Months lower limb arthroplasty.
– 6 Months softtissue‚Äôs knee surgery.
– 6 Months spinal surgery.
Basic Surgical Training
Hull and East Yorkshire Surgical Rotation.
(Orthopaedics, plastic surgery, general surgery, neurosurgery, A&E).
Total Experience in Trauma
– Fellowship‚Äôs level training in trauma surgery with Prof Giannoudis
– Consultant‚Äôs level experience covering major trauma and complex lower limb trauma at St Mary‚Äôs Hospital, Imperial College Central London, Major Trauma Centre.
– Consultant level experience covering major trauma and complex lower limb trauma (tertiary referred foot and ankle trauma ) in Ninewells Hospital and Medical School (major trauma centre and centre for high surgical rotation in orthopaedics and a university hospital).
– Fellowship-level-training in Arthroplasty (THR for fractures neck of femurs).
– Numerous research in the field.
Total experience in foot and ankle surgery
– Consultant foot and ankle surgeon, Tayside NHS / elective and trauma surgery.
– Consultant foot and ankle surgeon, Imperial College NHS / elective and trauma surgery.
– Foot and ankle fellowship in Leeds; recognised for training by the S.A.C.
– Two placements in foot and ankle firms during high surgical rotation.
– PROM proved outcome.
– Numerous research, clinical/ Lab/cadaveric and basic science research.
Instructional meetings and training courses
– Cadaveric Foot and Ankle Surgical Technique Teaching Day (faculty and demonstrator). Anatomy Lab, Dundee University.
– Newcastle NSTC Advanced Plating Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery, (faculty, presenter and demonstrator). NEWCASTLE SURGICAL TRAINING CENTRE, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
– Advanced Foot Course: Revision. Forefoot & Midfoot Reconstruction. Vienna, Austria.
– Upper limb and trauma cadaveric teaching course (faculty and demonstrator). Anatomy Lab , Dundee University.
– Foot and Ankle course (cadaveric training for TAR). Newcastle Surgical training Centre.
– Advances in Technologies and Techniques in Elective Foot & Ankle Surgery. AMTS (at Rennbahnklinik Muttenz) Kriegackerstrasse 100 4132 Muttenz(BL), Switzerland.
– Cadaveric Foot and Ankle Surgical Technique and research (faculty and demonstrator) Anatomy Lab, Dundee University.
– 14th Amsterdam Foot & Ankle course. Amsterdam.
– Integra Total Ankle Replacement course. Edinburgh.
– EFAS Advanced Symposium. Edinburgh.
– Foot & Ankle Ultrasound Practical course. Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow.
– BigFoot III – Revenge of the Heel. London.
– MIS Cadaveric Foot Course. Sussex University, Brighton.
– Advanced Ilizarov Method Course. Leeds.
– Current Concepts of Hand, Wrist & Elbow Fracture Management. Selzach, Switzerland.
– ATLS. Harrogate.
– The 5th London Orthopaedic Basic Science (Orth) Course 2010. London.
– Yorkshire FRCS (Orth) Revision Course. Calderdale Royal Hospital, Halifax.
– 10th Chertsey FRCS Orth Revision course. Ashford Hospital, London.
– 3rd Yorkshire Shoulder Course. Dewsbury Hospital.
– BOA 39th Instructional Course. Manchester.
– Leeds FRCS ORTH Revision. Leeds.
– Techniques in upper limb trauma for registrars. Sheffield.
– Leeds Arthroscopy Course. Leeds.
– BOA & EFORT instructional course. Edinburgh.
– Management of clubfoot using Ponseti method. Hull Royal Infirmary.
– ATLS Re-certification. Hull Royal Infirmary.
– Radiation protection and training for the mini C-Arm image intensifier. Epsom General Hospital.
– AO Principles of fracture fixation. Leeds University.
– Micro-Surgical training day. Castle Hill Hospital.
– Advanced Trauma Life Support ATLS. Hull Royal Infirmary.
– Care for Critically Ill Surgical Patients. Hull Royal Infirmary.
– Basic Surgical Skills Course. Castle Hill Hospital.
– Care For Critically Ill Medical Patients. Hull Royal Infirmary.
Research, publication and practice
1. Stability of Lisfranc injury fixation in Thiel Cadavers: Is routine fixation of the 1st and 3rd tarsometatarsal joint necessary?Mayne AIW, Lawton R, Dalgleish S, Harrold F, Chami G. Injury. 2017 Apr 11. pii: S0020-1383(17)30229-2. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2017.04.003. [Epub ahead of print]
2. A novel technique to ensure accurate placement of synthetic bone graft. A Mayne, G Chami Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017 Apr; 99(4): 363. Published online 2017 Mar 28. PMCID: PMC5449681
3. A comparison of surgical exposures for posterolateral osteochondral lesions of the talar dome Alistair I.W.Mayne , Robert Lawton.Michael J.Reidy.Fraser Harrold .George Chami. Foot and Ankle Surgery, Available online 13 December 2016
4. R. Lawton,S. Dalgleish, F. Harrold, G. Chami. STABILITY OF LISFRANC INJURY FIXATION IN THEIL CADAVERS: IS FIXATION OF THE THIRD RAY NECESSARY? Bone Joint J 2015 vol. 97-B no. SUPP 17 10
5. Is there an association between body temperature and serum lactate levels in hip fracture patients? Murtuza F, Farrier AJ, Venkatesan M, Smith R, Khan A, Uzoigwe CE, Chami G.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2015 Oct;97(7):513-8. doi: 10.1308/rcsann.2015.0012. Epub 2015 Aug 14. PMID:26274739
6. Shabani F, Farrier AJ, Smith R, Venkatesan M, Thomas C, Uzoigwe CE, Isaac S, Chami G.Hip fractures sustained in hospital: comorbidities and outcome.Postgrad Med J. 2014 Dec 30.PMID: 25550523
7. Chika E. Uzoigwe, Asif Khan, Robert Smith, Murali Venkatesan, Sivaraman Balasubramanian, Sherif Isaac, George Chami: Hypothermia and low body temperature are common and associated with high mortality in hip fracture patients, Hip Int 2014.PMID: 24619871
8. Chami G, Eyre J, Harris N., Simple stress fractures? Are they under-investigated. BOFAS Annual Scientific Meeting, Newport, 2012.( Abstract).
9. Eyre JR, Gudipati S, Chami G, Monkhouse R. Surgical outcome of Lisfanc fixation, BOFAS Annual Scientific Meeting, Newport, 2012. (Abstract).
10. G. Chami, N.Harris, P. Smirthwaite, J. Jie Wu, Rebalance™ (TAR), Design Rationale, Laboratory Wear Results and Early Clinical Outcome, 9th EFAS Congress, Noordwijk Aan Zee, The Netherlands(Abstract).
11. Uzoigwe CE, Shabani F, Chami G, El-Tayeb M. Simple whiplash?, J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009 Aug;91(8):1103-4. PMID: 19651845.
12. Chami G, Ward JW, Phillips R, Sherman KP. Haptic feedback can provide an objective assessment of arthroscopic skills. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008 Apr;466(4):963-8. Epub 2008 Jan 23. PMID: 18213507.
13. Collins I, Wilson-MacDonald J, Chami G, Burgoyne W, Vineyakam P, Berendt T, Fairbank J. The diagnosis and management of infection following instrumented spinal fusion. Eur Spine J. 2008 Mar;17(3):445-
50. Epub 2007 Dec 13. PMID: 18075763.
14. Chami G, Phillips R, Ward JW, Bielby MS, Mohsen AM. Factors Affecting Targeting Using the Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery System (CAOSS). Stud Health Technol Inform. 2005;119:90-2. PubMed ID (PMID): 16404021.
15. Chami G, Phillips R, Ward JW, Bielby MS, Mohsen AM. 3D visualization and open planning platform in virtual fluoroscopy. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2007;125:64-6. PubMed ID (PMID):17377235.
16. Jeys LM, Suneja R, Chami G, Grimer RJ, Carter SR, Tillman RM. Impending fractures in giant cell tumours of the distal femur: incidence and outcome. Int Orthop. 2006 Apr;30(2):135-8. Epub 2006 Feb 11. PubMed ID (PMID):16474936.
17. Chami G, Jeys L, Freudmann M, Connor L, Siddiqi M. Are osteoporotic fractures being adequately investigated?: A questionnaire of GP & orthopaedic surgeons. BMC Fam Pract. 2006 Feb 7;7(1): PubMed ID (PMID): 16464250.
18. Chami G, Phillips R, Ward JW, Bielby MS, Mohsen AM Factors affecting targeting using the computer assisted orthopaedic surgery system (CAOSS). Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006;119:90-2. PubMed ID (PMID):16404021.
19. Chami G, Ward J, Wills D, Phillips R, Sherman K. Smart tool for force measurements during knee arthroscopy: in vivo human study. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2005;119:85-9. PubMed ID (PMID): 16404020.
20. Chami G, Chami BD, Hatley ED, Dabis HM. Simple technique for evacuation of traumatic subcutaneous haematomas under tension. BMC Emerg Med. 2005 Dec 13;5(1): PubMed ID (PMID): 16351725.
21. Chami G, Moulder E, Mohsen AMMA. Weather associated symptoms after ankle injuries; myth or reality? The FOOT, Volume 16, Issue 3 , September 2006.
22. Chami G, Ward JW, Phillips R, Mohsen AMMA, 3D visualization using fluoroscopic images acquired in virtual fluoroscopy, Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery (CAOS), pp 47-49, ISBN 3-938262-69-9, Helsinki, June 2005. (Abstract Published).
23. Chami G, Collins I, Burgoyne W, Pasapula C, Wilson-Macdonald J, Berendt A, Fairbank J, and Bowden G. THE MANAGEMENT OF INFECTION FOLLOWING INSTRUMENTED SPINAL SURGERY, J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings, Sep 2005; 87-B: 240. (Abstract published).
24. Chami G, Scott A, Chockalingam S. Radiological outcome of volar locking plate versus manipulation and k wires in treatment of dorsally displaced distal radius fractures. Injury Extra (2005) 36,131‚ÄĒ184. (Abstract published).
25. Chami G, Al Arag, M. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome at Aleppo University Hospital, Aleppo University Research Publications; 2002, 1-56 (Research thesis published).